Sunday, July 4, 2010

Why I Adore Watermelon

"If everyone in the nation ate watermelons, they'd get rid of all the doctors."
--Chester Reed, age 95, who credits watermelon for his longevity and good health

Watermelon is one of my all-time favorite foods, ranking right up there with chocolate and red wine. Maybe it's my African roots-- the fruit was first cultivated in Egypt, my dad's homeland-- or maybe that it is just so yummy, but somehow I can never get enough. I think I would love it even if it weren't such an incredibly heart healthy treat, but it turns out that watermelon is a super food in every sense of the word.

Not only is watermelon high in water (over 90% by volume) and low in calories (~50 calories per cup), but it is chock full of vitamin C, and a good source of vitamins A and B6 as well. Even more impressive, it is a fabulous source of lycopene, a very important antioxidant that has been linked to lower rates of heart disease and cancer. (Lycopene is also found in tomatoes and pink grapefruit.) And in 2007, researchers reported that watermelon supplies important amounts of citrulline, which the body uses to form arginine, an amino acid. This amino acid helps to relax the blood vessels, and may be important in keeping blood pressure nice and low. It might even have benefits for people with sickle cell anemia, erectile dysfunction and diabetes. Truly a fruity multitasker!

I love watermelon so much that I was excited to find out that it has its own website: http://www.watermelon.org/  You'll find some great recipes and a lot more interesting information.

No comments:

Post a Comment